Atmos sued over hospital explosion

Local

The Waco law firm Harrison Davis Steakly Morrison Jones P.C. has announced it filed suit Wednesday against Atmos Energy Corporation on behalf of Matthew Aaron and his family.

Aaron suffered what were described as “severe, debilitating third degree burns” from a natural gas explosion at Coryell Memorial Hospital in Gatesville back on June 26, 2018.

The statement issued by the firm said that State Fire Marshal investigators concluded that the explosion, which claimed the lives of three workers and severly injured others, was caused when a large pocket of natural gas supplied by Atmos ignited.

The suit, filed in the Coryell County District Court, says the investigators reported that those working inside the building where the explosion occurred denied smelling natural gas prior to the explosion.

Harrison Davis partner Matt Morrison in the statement said, ” long ago, in the wake of a deadly explosion, regulators required natural gas to be oderized with a rotten egg smell so that we can easily detect its presence. The fact that construction workers denied smelling what turned out to be a large pocket of natural gas is alarming.”

The statement claims that the single most important safety characteristic of natural gas–the rotten egg odor–was absent.

Harrison Davis Steakley Morrison Jones P.C. is representing the client along with the Zimmerman Law Firm and Grotefeld Hoffman.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Events