Smoke leads to Baylor dorm evacuation

News

A Waco Fire Department report indicates that smoke that led to the evacuation of a Baylor dorm late Wednesday night was traced to boiled over food left on a stove and resulted in no damage.

Fire units were sent to the Texana dorm at 1201 South University Parks Drive at 11:52 p.m. Wednesday.

When they got there, Baylor public safety personnel were already there and had evacuated the building.

Firefighters joined them on the second floor and after getting a pass card to enter the locked room found a large pot of what appeared to be gumbo on the stove.

The report indicated the smoke had come from the boil over.

Fans were used to ventilate the apartment and the hallway and power was cut off to the stove.

Students were allowed back in the building in a short amount of time.

One resident was checked out by ambulance personnel and she was reported OK and was not transported for further treatment.

Fire units cleared the scene about forty minutes after arriving.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Upcoming Events

90210 Countdown Clock

Enter to Win our Contests

More Contests